Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some Say We Walk Alone

The Horrors released their sophmore album, Primary Colours, this spring and it really surprised me (as it did most others, I suspect). I liked their first album (read: tolerated... I mean, it wasn't great), but this second album is really truly great. From beginning to end a great album, and one I'm quite sure will end up ranking very high on my end-of-year list (my beloved list... Mmmmmm).

I realize this post is slightly (read: very) belated and overdue, but I forgot to write back when I first heard the album (cue: sympathy). I could have just not written anything, but I haven't been able to stop listening to the album since I got it... so naturally a post was needed (yes, life is full of hard choices).

Sea Within A Sea was the first single from the album and still very much a standout track for me. It is one of the best songs, if not the best, I've heard all year and I just can't get enough. The song reminds me of krautrock รก la NEU! (which is a massive compliment), while also borrowing from one of last years best songs; The Rip (by Portishead). This is probably much down to Geoff Barrows (of Portishead) producing the album.

Longwinded ramblings aside, this is a great great song which I love love. Yes yes.

The Horrors - Sea Within A Sea



I also heavily recommend listening to second single Who Can Say, which draws a bit more on personal fave's Joy Division. Again, awesome song.

No comments: