Monday, March 23, 2009

When the World Gets Dark, Baby

You know when you hear a song for the first time and you're just blown away by how great it is? So great that it makes you sit down and just listen. Bliss... well, I got that with The Entrance Band (or according to some, Entrance). I was listening to the always excellent NPR All Song Considered podcast when Carrie Brownstein (of Sleater Kinney fame) recommended them as one to see at SXSW.

The Entrance Band - Grim Reaper Blues



That opening of the song immediately caught me and from then on it's sheer awesomeness. The sound is old hard blues-y psych rock - there can be no doubt about that. Reminiscent of fellow revivalists Wolfmother, but much more psych. The leadsinger's voice is perfect and if someone had told me that it was actually a song from the 1970's I would have believed it.

And don't get me started on the song title, Grim Reaper Blues... You have to love that.

I haven't actually listened to more of their stuff, but if it's as good as this then I'm a fan... actually, strike that. I'm already a fan.

No comments: